Master of Education
(Teaching of English as a Second Language)
- 1 year 4 months (minimum)
Find out more or Apply Now !
Let’s maintain social distancing.
Talk to our counselors – online.
Teaching English As A Second Language (TESL) is a postgraduate qualification for teaching young and adult students, whose first language is not English. Such students may be either learning English as their second language at school or intending to learn or improve the language for future career prospects. A TESL degree would be suitable not only for those seeking jobs such as teaching ESL students in schools, but would also be of benefit for anyone working with recent immigrants to English-speaking countries such as the USA, UK, Australia and Canada.
Besides qualifying our potential students to become teachers, this postgraduate-level programme also enables them to undertake careers as strategic planners, course content curators or designers, decision makers, managers, administrators and directors in the field of education.
TESL courses are most relevant for those looking to teach English within their home country. TESL is also a highly respected ESL qualification in Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand and Canada.
Find out your qualification that matches to enter the programme.
- Bachelor’s Degree Education (Hons) / Bachelor’s Degree (Hons) in Education with a minimum CGPA 2.50 from an institution recognized by the Malaysian government; OR
- Bachelor’s Degree (Hons) AND Diploma in Education/ Certificate in Education/ Diploma in Teaching a minimum CGPA 50 from an institution recognized by the Malaysian government; OR
- Bachelor’s Degree (Hons) or its equivalent, with an minimum CGPA 2.50, as accepted by the Senate; OR
- Bachelor’s Degree (Hons) with CGPA less than 2.50, can be accepted subject to five (5) years working experience in the related field
- A minimum score of Band 6.0 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)*; or
- A minimum score of 550 for a paper-based total or 80 for an Internet based total for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)*; or
- A minimum of Grade C in First Cambridge English (FCE) minimum scale 169, or B2 in CEFR, or Pearson Test of English (PTE 50-58) as required proficiency; or
- A recognized first degree undertaken in English medium; or
- Successful attainment of FCE minimum of Grade C (169) conducted by the Centre for Continuing Education (CCE) within 1-6 months from the date of entry with conditional offer letter.
Applicants into the Master’s program (level 7, MQF) through APEL, must be a Malaysian citizen aged more than 30 years of age in the year of application, have STPM/ Diploma/ A-Level or its equivalent with relevant work experience/ prior experiential learning and passed APEL assessment.
Find out the programme structure and the fees & funding for this programme.
The Master of Education ( Teaching of English as Second Language ) requires a total of 48 credits to complete in (1.5 – 2 years)
- Quantitative Research Methods in Education
- Foundation of Education
- Psychology of Learning and Instruction
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Qualitative Research Methods in Education
- Technology in Education
- Assessment in Education
Major Core Subjects
- Second Language Acquisition
- Linguistic and Multilingualism
- Sociolinguistics and Cross-cultural Communication
- Language Teaching Methodology
- Syntax and Discourse Analysis
- Material Design and Selection in TESL
- Project Paper
*For enquiries on our programme fees, please contact our Marketing Department at 03 2730 7231 / 7053 / 7043 / 7184 / 7041 / 7046
Identify a great career opportunity
that is right for you.
- Digital Copywriter/Editor
- Editorial Manager
- English as a Second or Foreign Language Teacher/Instructor/Course Developer
- Publishing Copy-Editor/Proofreader
- Web Content Manager
- Writer/Author/Content Curator
- Public Relations Specialist
- Social Media Manager
- Event Manager
- Newspaper or Magazine Journalist
You Might Be
Look for other programmes that you might be interested.